It’s incredibly important that you take care of your health; that includes your physical, mental, and emotional state. But, don’t you worry, I’m not about to go on a tangent about why you need to put down those french fries and go on a six-hour long run. Instead, we’re going to have a little chat about the importance of self-care and what you can start to do to begin taking care of yourself.
Why is practicing self-care important?
You know that feeling you get when you realize that you have to take an extra shift this weekend in order to be able to cover student loans, because you already spent your extra money on your boyfriend’s mother’s birthday gift? It’s that stressed-out, fed-up, at-your-witts-end type of feeling that can be lessened with the practice of self-care. I’m not saying that by practicing self-care, you’re going to be stress-free. But, what I am saying, is that by practicing self-care, you’re going to begin feeling better about yourself! Not only that, but you’re going to start looking better, too (not that you aren’t sexy AF already).
Maybe you’ve hated the way your skin is so dry all the time, or how you never get to try anything new? Self-care just isn’t about taking care of your body. It’s also about allowing your soul to be free of stress, even if it’s just for a few hours.
- Turn off your phone for three hours. Go do something fun while you’re not attached to social media!
- Buy yourself some of your favorite flowers and put them in your room
- Do something for the first time, even if it’s taking a new way home from work or trying out a new restaurant
- Meditate. Allow your mind to have a few minutes of rest.
- Go and declutter a messy room in your house! Donate or sell the extra junk that you’re deciding to get rid of.
- Burn your favorite candle.
- Treat yourself with your favorite dinner or dessert.
- Watch your favorite movie or T.V. show.
- Give yourself a DIY manicure
- Take yourself shopping, but set a limit for yourself. Here are a few of my favorite online plus-size clothing stores to shop from.
- Have an intense workout session with your best friend.
- Go get your hair done.
- Massage lotion into your legs before you go to bed.
- Give yourself a facial.
- Write a letter to a person you haven’t chatted with in a while.
- Start a journal.
- Go volunteer! Helping others will allow you to appreciate the life you have.
- Go on a long run or walk, to a park that you’ve never been to before.
- Take a road trip, with no destination in mind.
- Give yourself a foot massage.
- Indulge in a long and hot, relaxing bath.
These are some of my faovorite ways to practice self-care. What do you do to help boost yourself up when you’re feeling down or stressed?